ZF Azimuth Thrusters
A wide range of steerable azimuth thrusters ensures vessels a compact propulsion system with the highest degree of manoeuvrability. We offer complete integrated systems with joysticks and control panels.
A modular design enables a high degree of adaptability to customer needs. All systems are used in connection with both diesel engines and electric motors.
Thrusters with advanced technology
Azimuth thrusters are characterized by advanced technology and great durability. Various 360° steerable thrusters, transverse thrusters or shallow draught thrusters act as the primary or auxiliary propulsion unit.
Azimuth Thrusters Tailored to your Needs
- Z-drive or L-drive (depending on shaft arrangement) *
- Operating system ThrusterCommand is an integral part of the propulsion system
- Mounting configuration
- Drive settings (Diesel engine – Z-drive Electric motor horizontal X drive and vertical L drive)
- Hydraulic motor L-drive
- Control of the thruster
- Electrical or hydraulic control
- Robust suspension to reduce vibration
* Mechanical ZF Azimuth Thrusters are divided into L-drive and Z-drive. An L-drive thruster has a vertical input shaft and a horizontal output shaft. A z-drive thruster has a horizontal input shaft and a horizontal output shaft.
Advantages of Azimuth Thrusters
- Robust, solid and compact design
- Ship-specific design
- Possibility of using biodegradable lubricating oil
- Easy installation and service
- Design that ensures optimized efficiency
- Low noise emission
- Manoeuvrability and thus better utilization of ship space
The individual azimuth thruster is typically equipped with a control system that enables both steering and propulsion control of the ship.
Shallow Draught Thruster
High manoeuvrability in shallow water
The shallow draught thruster offers unmatched manoeuvrability. This thruster is the perfect solution for you who need to navigate in shallow water, for example with a ferry or workboats, the thruster being the main propulsion unit.
Also used as extra or back-up propulsion as on some research vessels. The thruster for shallow water is dimensioned for inputs from 100 – 825 kW.
Retractable Azimuth Thruster
The retractable Azimuth Thruster operates in full azimuth mode when deployed as part of an auxiliary propulsion system to increase the vessel’s ability to maintain its position. If the vessel is equipped with a phased propeller, the thruster can be used for diesel, hydraulic or electric motors.
Typical applications are research and military vessels, stand-by and rescue vessels. The thruster is dimensioned for input from 200 – 2000 kW.
Improved manoeuvring with bow thruster
The tunnel thruster with optimized hydrodynamic efficiency leads to increased manoeuvrability on traditional axle-mounted vessels and pleasure boats. Using the thruster as extra help makes mooring easier.
When used for more demanding applications such as dynamic positioning, performance can be optimized. The thruster is dimensioned for input from 100-2000 kW.
In some cases, the Tunnel Thruster may be an alternative to a shallow draught thruster
Service of Azimuth Thrusters
At our workshop in Esbjerg, your Azimuth Thruster gets serviced and repaired. For us, the result is crucial. Yet we often provide extra service such as cleaning this Azimuth making it shine.
Read more about our service and repair of industrial and marine equipment. If you want a repair, retrofitting or any kind of service, it is performed by West-Marine A/S either at our workshop, on the ship or on the rig itself.
Our skilled employees have a broad knowledge and extensive experience in service and repair of equipment for both marine, offshore and industry.